America is getting older, and more family members find themselves becoming caregivers for their Mom or Dad. The family usually finds itself in a crisis when no advance plan was put in place to address the financial costs and burdens of aging.
Being a caregiver is not easy. There is a considerable amount of stress and physical effort that comes with being a caregiver for a person in a long-term care situation. Helping a person with their daily activities of daily living is hard on a good day. When you add the stress of caregiving and its pressure on the caregiver’s other responsibilities, it becomes a recipe for disaster unless you manage the pressure.
Remember, a caregiver needs to juggle the responsibilities of caregiving with that of their own families and careers. Experts say you should watch for the signs that the stress is becoming too much. These signs include:
- Swings in emotions – from crying to anger
- Wide swings in weight
- Alcohol and drug abuse
- Lower interest in family and friends
- Frequent headaches or stomach issues
There are several ways to address stress. Some people seek counseling. The ability to discuss your concerns and emotions with a professional can bring peace to your life. The professional therapist is not there to judge you but to listen. The therapist can give you strategies to deal with your emotions and stress.
Wipe Away Stress with Meditation
The Mayo Clinic says that meditation is a way to “wipe away” the stress and high emotions that come from having the responsibility of caregiving.
You don’t need to keep your worry inside you. There is no need to live with the anxiety. While some people have medical issues where anxiety medications can help, experts suggest attempting to use meditation to see if it helps.
There are many benefits to meditation. It may help you gain a new perspective on your situation. Sometimes a caregiver to place blame on their loved one. Often, they place the blame of themselves. Both are wrong.
You can also gain skills to manage your stress better. If you can manage the stress of caregiving, it will benefit your health and that of the loved one you are caring for.
There are many varieties of meditation. Click here and see the many types available.
Time Management Reduces Anxiety
The ability to manage your time will also reduce stress and anxiety. Most family caregivers still have careers and their own families that they must juggle. Once you manage your day and schedule time for yourself and your family, you will reduce some of the pressure that the role of caregiver places on you.
AARP offers ten tips that can help you manage your time – just click here.
If you are already a caregiver you must deal with the hand you are dealt with. However, what have you done to reduce the stress and burdens placed on your family when you need long-term care in the decades ahead?
Prepare Your Family and Finances for Your Future Care
The best time to prepare your family and your finances for the financial costs and burdens of aging is before you retire, ideally when you are in your 40s or 50s. For many American families, the solution is affordable Long-Term Care Insurance.
You might have read that Long-Term Care Insurance is expensive and very hard to get. The truth is if you purchase a policy at the right time an LTC policy is very affordable and easy to apply for and own. There are a few basics you should be aware of when thinking about planning:
- Purchase when you enjoy good health. You can’t wait until you need the care to buy a policy. Every insurance company has different underwriting criteria. When you speak with a Long-Term Care Insurance specialist, they will ask you many detailed questions about your health, including getting the names of your medications. Family history also plays a role. If they don’t ask you many detailed questions, you better move on and speak to another agent.
- Premiums vary over 100% between insurance companies for the same benefits. Be sure you speak with a specialist who represents the top companies. They will match you with the best company based on your age, health, and family history.
- Forty-five states offer Partnership Long-Term Care Insurance. These policies provide dollar-for-dollar asset protection. A Partnership policy can be a significant part of your retirement plan by safeguarding your assets even if you were to exhaust all your benefits.
- Several insurance companies offer Hybrid Long-Term Care Insurance policies. The selling point here is you get both a death benefit and a long-term care benefit. These policies are not for everyone, but again, a specialist can help you determine if this might be a good option.
- Many companies offer shared spousal benefits. This means benefits can be shared between partners, even if one passes away.
- Many policies include case management. A nurse case manager can help your family design a plan of care and even find appropriate care. This gives the family time to be family.
Tools to Research LTC Insurance
You can compare the major features of the top insurance companies by clicking here. The LTC NEWS Cost of Care Calculator will show you both the current and future cost of care services where you live. You will see the financial consequences of paid care services would have on your savings and income. Just click here to access the calculator.
Be sure to work with a qualified and trusted Long-Term Care Insurance specialist to help you navigate the market and design an affordable and appropriate plan. Just click here and find your specialist.
Don’t place your family into the role of caregiver. Give them the time to be family.
The problem of long-term care is both a cash flow issue and a family issue. Preparing your family and finances for the financial costs and burdens associated with long-term health care is key to enjoying a successful future retirement.
There are many resources available on LTC NEWS that help educate you about the options available to you for safeguard savings and income and reduce the stress on your loved ones. As you prepare for your future retirement, better consider the physical, emotional, and financial burdens that get placed on you and your family.
Find all the resources on LTC NEWS by clicking here.
You can compare the major Long-Term Care Insurance policies and get free and accurate quotes by clicking here.
Find a Trusted and Qualified LTC Specialist
Be sure to seek the right type of professional help. Premiums can vary by over 100% between insurance companies, so a skilled and trusted professional can help you navigate the many companies and options.
A qualified Long-Term Care Insurance specialist will help you obtain the best coverage at the best value. Discover your trusted pro by clicking here.
Advertise on LTC NEWS
LTC NEWS offers many marketing and advertising opportunities, including sponsored content and sponsorship of critical areas of the website. These marketing opportunities are ideal for businesses, including, but not limited to:
- financial advisors
- home health agencies
- assisted living facilities
- adult day care centers
- rehab facilities
- memory care facilities
- senior living centers
- nursing homes
- real estate professionals
If your business wants to reach the decision-makers who are researching care options for a parent or loved one, LTC NEWS is a great option.
You can also purchase sponsored content – a long-form article to express your insight experience and services.
Contact the advertising department at https://www.ltcnews.com/support/advertise