Dogs are wonderful companions and are usually docile creatures. However, sometimes things can negatively trigger the animal, and the interaction with a human becomes injuries to multiple parties. Surprisingly, dog bites aren't rare, with more than 4.5 million bites reported yearly. If you or a loved one have suffered injuries from an interaction with a dog, consider contacting qualified law firm. Specialists in the domain can help you seek appropriate restitution.
What to Do if Injured by a Dog?
After treatment, you should seek compensation from the dog owner or the owner's insurer. Most homeowners have insurance policies that cover initial dog claims if the bite occurs inside the insured homeowners' property. Some policies also cover dog bites that occur outside the property.
You can also sue the dog owner or caretaker for damages. Regardless of your preferred action, you should hire a dog bite attorney. Dog bite lawyers use their knowledge and experience to negotiate and reach for a settlement from the insurance company.
How Much Can You Sue for Dog Bite Injuries?
Like other personal injury cases, there isn't a specific limit on how much dog bite victims can seek. However, dog bite cases in most states are worth approximately $50,000. The value of dog bites and other personal injury cases primarily depends on the severity of injuries sustained.
With the help of a dog bite lawyer, dog bit victims can seek compensation for:
- Medical bills
- Loss of earning capacity – if they sustain serious injuries that can cause a professional setback
- Lost wages
- Property damage
- Pain and emotional suffering
- Loss of consortium
Victims can demand financial compensation for all these damages, especially if the attack occurred because of the dog owners' mistake. Dog bite victims can also seek punitive damages against the dog owner. As the name suggests, this punishes dog owners for their laxity.
Your State's Dog Bite Laws Can Affect Your Dog Bite Case
The specifics of dog bite cases and compensation awarded primarily depend on your state laws and guidelines for personal injury cases. Some states adopt the strict liability option, while others use one-bite laws. Very few states, including New York, are mixed states. Dog bite laws in these states include some aspects of one-bite and strict liability rules.
- Strict liability states – most states have adopted the general law that imposes liability for dog bites on the owner. This means dog owners assume full liability for the victim's injuries, whether the owner was negligent or not. However, victims should prove that the dog attacked them without provocation to be compensated.
- One bite states – dog owners in these states are held responsible for dog bites if they know their dogs are dangerous. Besides causing previous bites, dog owners should pay attention to their dogs' violent behavior, such as barking at people, fighting other dogs, and chasing people or cars. Proving liability in these states is quite challenging, as the dog owner can decline knowledge of their dogs' violent behaviors. Victims often have to prove the dog owner's negligence.
Defenses You Can Encounter
The dog owner will probably hire a lawyer to defend them against your claims. While the defense option chosen by the defendant's attorney varies depending on state laws, most dog bite defenses include:
- Dog provocation – dog owners may deny responsibility because the victim provoked the dog. Most people naturally like teasing or threatening dogs with aggressive gestures.
- Trespassing – victims should prove they were legally allowed to be at the place where the bite occurred. While trespassers have legal protections, you won't be compensated for damages if the bite occurred while trespassing.
- Assumption of risk or comparative negligence – dog owners can also argue that the victim is partially responsible for the bite, especially if the victim ignored warnings.
You should hire an experienced dog bite attorney who can counter these defenses.
The Bottom Line
Dog bites aren't a fun experience. Most people suffer long-lasting consequences that affect their quality of life. You should consult a dog bite attorney for legal guidance if a dog has bitten you. Your attorney will help you recover compensation for the damages suffered.
About the Author
LTC News sponsored content like this reaches an audience interested in aging, caregiving, health care, lifestyle, long-term care, and retirement planning. Your sponsored content article can live on LTC NEWS indefinitely - or for one year, easily and affordably.
Contributor since August 21st, 2017
Use LTC NEWS to drive traffic to your website and help you attract people interested in your products and services. Plus, you can improve your website's SEO so more consumers can find you when they search for your products and services.
There are various marketing options available with LTC NEWS. Traditional advertising, sponsored content articles, strategic alliances, and more are available.
Sponsored Content is one of the most popular options on LTC NEWS. Sponsored content offers a highly effective means of driving traffic to your website, elevating brand awareness, and fostering relationships with your target audience.
By collaborating with LTC NEWS, you can tap into a pool of potential customers who may be considering your products or services, even if they are not yet familiar with your business.
Sponsored content articles can also enhance your website by delivering engaging and informative content that captivates your audience. This approach presents a welcome departure from conventional advertisements and helps establish your brand as a thought leader within your industry.
Furthermore, sponsored content contributes to your website's SEO by supplying high-quality, relevant material that search engines appreciate. Featuring your article and website on LTC NEWS lends immense credibility, which in turn benefits your website and SEO.
Learn more about how LTC NEWS can help market your business, drive traffic, and improve SEO - Advertise With Us | LTC News.
Put a Spotlight on You and Your Business/Website By Contributing Content to LTC NEWS
Contributing an article to LTC NEWS can enhance your website or blog's SEO while simultaneously increasing exposure and driving traffic.
Featuring your company's website URL on LTC NEWS can improve SEO by amplifying your online presence. Moreover, being associated with LTC NEWS can elevate your website's credibility in the eyes of Google and other search engines, resulting in higher search result rankings.
Take the opportunity to promote yourself, your business, and your website or blog, including links to other sites. Once your article is published, feel free to share the link on your website or social media platforms.
LTC NEWS Provides Essential Resources for In-Depth Research
There is no other place on the internet where you will see comprehensive and accurate information on long-term health care, aging, caregiving, health, retirement planning, and Long-Term Care Insurance.
These resources are vital to review: